the last week has flashed by me with a potpourri of memories like a 3 day music festival. i inherited the phalanges of an organization that has operated under an agreement field that is miles away from the world in which i inhabit.
i was under the impression that i could work with all the players on the team, but a larger truth soon reared its head and insisted that there would need to be a proverbial lightening of the load before anybody could start to travel up the long road ahead.
i think the least favorite part of any job i have ever inhabited has been the release of any person from service or services. i am beginning to realize that a small (or otherwise) business is very much like a family. if a family member’s behaviors are causing undue discord and that member refuses to change those behaviors then it is a call for tough love.
tough love often comes wrapped in words like “no”, “no more”, “good luck with your next chapter”.
the new gig has offices and so i am touching base with each entity and performing any edits deemed . two locations have seemed especially toxic. the editing process is in full swing and the removal of polyps, cysts, and warts is nearly complete.
my naivete reveals itself again. i forget that there is real racism and homophobia in our midst and how poisonous it is to health and healthcare. and how it hurts the people around me and ultimately me, too.
Oh, I can’t take another heartache
Though you say you’re my friend, I’m at my wit’s end
You say your love is bona fide
But that don’t coincide with the things that you do
And when I ask you to be nice, you say
You gotta be
Cruel to be kind in the right measure
Cruel to be kind it’s a very good sign
Cruel to be kind means that I love you
Baby, you gotta be cruel to be kind
Well, I do my best to understand, dear
But you still mystify and I want to know why
I pick myself up off the ground
To have you knock me back down again and again
And when I ask you to explain you say
i have just returned from a bi-annual check up. i have a good relationship with my doctor. he asks me what’s been going on in my life and how i am doing. i talk about some stress, some over eating, some depression, some things that are working well.
he shares the results of recent bloodwork. i am expecting all good news. mostly it is, but there are reasons to have concern. i have gained weight over the last few years. i am eating too much sugar and although not diabetic, i am tipping. there is a repeat of blood in my urine which could mean several things – if anything. i might have to change my hiv meds. i might have to dig deeper (ouch) to find if it might be early signs of kidney cancer. swabs of my cheeks are taken to determine of i might be a good candidate for an alternative nrti and nnrti combination med. it is almost time for another colonoscopy.
this was a tall drink of water for me today. nothing immediate, but much more to think about than i prefer. i have been hiv positive since 1985, so truthfully all this time is bonus. that is my bassline. i know that in my heart and in my head. but sometimes, i whelm over when i hear all these things i have to be on the lookout for. i escaped “carousel” already- but not forever.
i have recently stumbled upon sam smith’s voice during my online treks. his range and his volume have captivated me. the sounds seem other-worldly to me or at least transcendent. i could listen to him over and over- and prolly do. hopefully you will hit play while you peruse these 100 quotes about yoga and happiness.
Here are 100 quotes I find inspiring:(reposted from elephantjournal.com)
1. “Better indeed is knowledge than mechanical practice. Better than knowledge is meditation. But better still is surrender of attachment to results, because there follows immediate peace.“ Bhagavad Gita.
2. “When you don’t have any money, the problem is food. When you have money, it’s sex. When you have both, it’s health.” Marilyn Monroe.
3. “Our bodies are our gardens—our wills are our gardeners.“ Shakespeare.
4. “It is health that is the real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.“ Mahatma Gandhi.
5. “Wellness is a connection of paths: knowledge and action.” Joshua Welch.
6. “He who takes medicine and neglects to diet wastes the skill of his doctors.” Chinese Proverb.
7. “It’s bizarre that the produce manager is more important to my children’s health than the pediatrician.“ Meryl Streep.
8. “He who has health has hope and he who has hope has everything.“ Arabian Proverb.
9. ”Nobody can hurt me without my permission.” Gandhi.
10. “When the mind is exhausted of images, it invents its own.“ Gary Snyder.
11. “The gift of learning to meditate is the greatest gift you can give yourself in this lifetime.“ Sogyal Rinpoche.
12. “The part can never be well unless the whole is well.” Plato.
13. “Learning to let go should be learned before learning to get. Life should be touched, not strangled. You’ve got to relax, let it happen at times, and at others move forward with it.” Ray Bradbury.
14. “You only lose what you cling to.” Siddhārtha Gautama Buddha.
16. “If while on your way you meet no one your equal or better, steadily continue on your way alone. There is no fellowship with fools.” Dhammapada.
17. “What each of us believes in is up to us, but life is impossible without believing in something. “ Kentetsu Takamori.
18. “Do not ask for less responsibility to be free and relaxed—ask for more strength!“ Shengyan.
19. ”We don’t realize that, somewhere within us all, there does exist a supreme self who is eternally at peace.” -Eat, Pray Love
20. “Meditation brings wisdom; lack of meditation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what holds you back, and choose the path that leads to wisdom.“ Buddha.
21. “Health and cheerfulness naturally beget each other.” Joseph Addison.
22. “Diseases of the soul are more dangerous and more numerous than those of the body.” Cicero.
23. “Lack of activity destroys the good condition of every human being, while movement and methodical physical exercise save it and preserve it.” Plato.
24. “You can set yourself up to be sick, or you can choose to stay well.” Wayne Dyer.
25. “Want to be happy? Just be yourself.”Author Unknown.
26. “The most important pieces of equipment you need for doing yoga are your body and your mind.“ Rodney Yee.
27. “Yoga teaches us to cure what need not be endured and endure what cannot be cured.” BK Iyengar.
28. “Do it with passion- or not at all.”
29. “A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor’s book.” Irish Proverb.
30. “The affairs of the world will go on forever. Do not delay the practice of meditation.“ Milepa.
31. “Water, air and cleanliness are the chief articles in my pharmacopoeia.“ Napoleon I.
32. “Change is not something that we should fear. Rather, it is something that we should welcome. For without change, nothing in this world would ever grow or blossom, and no one in this world would ever move forward to become the person they’re meant to be.” Author Unknown.
33. “Yoga is the fountain of youth. You’re only as young as your spine is flexible.” Bob Harper.
35. “Simplify” Author Unknown.
36. “Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn’t matter to me. Going to bed at night saying we’ve done something wonderful—that’s what matters to me.” Steve Jobs.
37. “Yoga is 99% practice and 1% theory.” Sri Pattabhi Jois.
38. “The beauty is that people often come here for the stretch, and leave with a lot more” Liza Ciano.
39. “Don’t just do something—sit there!” Unknown Yoga Quote.
40. “To perform every action artfully is yoga.“ Swami Kripalu.
41. “Yoga has a sly, clever way of short circuiting the mental patterns that cause anxiety.” Baxter Bal.
42. “Yoga is invigoration in relaxation. Freedom in routine. Confidence through self control. Energy within and energy without.” Ymber Delecto.
43. “Inhale, and God approaches you. Hold the inhalation, and God remains with you. Exhale, and you approach God. Hold the exhalation, and surrender to God.“ Krishnamacharya.
44. “Anyone who practices can obtain success in yoga but not one who is lazy. Constant practice alone is the secret of success.” Hatha Yoga Pradipika.
45. “You control your happiness, no one else.” Author Unknown.
46. “Yoga is the practice of quieting the mind.” Patanjali.
47. “Yoga is the perfect opportunity to be curious about who you are.” Jason Crandell.
48. Healing Through Diet: http://embed.ted.com/talks/dean_ornish_on_healing.html.
49. “Yoga exists in the world because everything is linked.” Desikashar.
50. “Through meditation and by giving full attention to one thing at a time, we can learn to direct attention where we choose.” Eknath Easwaran.
51. “The best way out is always through.” Robert Frost.
52. “The groundwork for all happiness is good health.” Leigh Hunt.
53. “Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Appreciate your friends. Continue to learn. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.” Mary Radmacher.
54. “The ability to be in the present moment is a major component of mental wellness.” Abraham Maslow.
55. “Happiness is a state of inner fulfillment, not the gratification of inexhaustible desires for outward things.” Matthieu Ricard.
56. “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.“ Hippocrates.
58. “Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live. “ Jim Rohn.
59. “Live, travel, adventure, bless and don’t be sorry “ Jack Kerouac.
60. “A mind free from all disturbances is Yoga “ Patanjali.
61. “All of man’s difficulties are caused by his inability to sit, quietly, in a room by himself. “ Blaise Pascal.
62. “Worries are pointless. If there’s a solution, there’s no need to worry. If no solution exists, there’s no point to worry.“ Matthieu Ricard.
63. “Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.“Author Unknown.
64. “The yoga pose that you avoid the most you need the most.” Author Unknown.
65. “Intelligence comes into being when the mind, the heart and the body are really harmonious.” J Krishnamurti.
66. “Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past, or a pioneer of the future.” Deepak Chopra.
67. “In the midst of movement and chaos, keep stillness inside of you.” Deepak Chopra.
68. “Make the driving force in your life love.” Dr. Oz.
69. “You must find the place inside yourself where nothing is impossible.“ Deepak Chopra.
70. “If you want to find God, hang out in the space between your thoughts.” Alan Cohen.
71. “Happiness is a state of inner fulfillment.“ Matthieu Ricard.
72. “When you live your life with an appreciation of coincidences and their meanings, you connect with the underlying field of infinite possibilities.” Deepak Chopra.
73. “That one I love who is incapable of ill will, and returns love for hatred. Living beyond the reach of I and mind, and of pain and pleasure, full of mercy, contented, self-controlled, with all his heart and all his mind given to me—such a one I am in love. “Bhagavad Gita.
74. “A man should look for what is, and not for what should be.“ Albert Einstein.
75. “Happiness consists in realizing it is all a great strange dream “Jack Kerouac.
76. “Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.” Robert Frost.
77. “Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling.” … Margaret Lee Runbeck
78. “Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; hate less, love more; and all good things are yours.” Swedish Proverb.
79. “Your health is a state of mind.” Author Unknown.
80. “Sleep is the best meditation.“ Dalai Lama.
81. “Silence is not silent. Silence speaks. It speaks most eloquently. Silence is not still. Silence leads. It leads most perfectly.” Sri Chinmoy.
82. ”Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.” Gautama Buddha.
83. “You pray for good health and a body that will be strong in old age. Good—but your rich foods block the gods’ answer and tie Jupiter’s hands.” Persius.
84. “To keep the body in good health is a duty, otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.” Buddha.
85. “Yoga is almost like music in a way; there’s no end to it.” Sting.
86. “Yoga science is not just a scholarly pursuit. It is a moment by moment and thought by thought practical guide for living. “ Leonard Perlmutter.
87. “This yoga should be practiced with firm determination and perseverance, without any mental reservation or doubts.” Bhagavad Gita.
88. “We all wish for world peace, but world peace will never be acheived unless we first establish peace within our own minds.“ Geshe Kelsang Gyatso.
89. “You are an aperture through which the universe is looking at and exploring itself.” Alan Wilson Watts.
90. “The best fighter is never angry.” Lao Tzu.
91. “Even if things don’t unfold the way you expected, don’t be disheartened or give up. One who continues to advance will win in the end.” Daisaku Ikeda.
92. “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” Hermann Hesse.
93. “It is my conviction that there is no way to peace—peace is the way.” Thich Nhat Hanh.
94. ”Don’t move the way fear makes you move. Move the way love makes you move. Move the way joy makes you move.” Osho.
95. “Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.” Geshe Kelsang Gyatso.
96. “Suffering usually relates to wanting things to be different from the way they are.” Allan Lokos.
97. “Treat every moment as your last. It is not preparation for something else” Shunryu Suzuki.
98. “A man is not called wise because he talks and talks again; but if he is peaceful, loving and fearless then he is in truth called wise.” Siddhārtha Gautama Buddha.
99. “If there is any religion that could respond to the needs of modern science, it would be Buddhism.” Albert Einstein.
100. “If we learn to open our hearts, anyone, including the people who drive us crazy, can be our teacher.” Pema Chödrön.